From Maisqual Wiki
A discipline applying technical and administrative direction and surveillance to
- identify and document the functional and physical characteristics of a configuration item,
- control changes to those characteristics, record and report change processing and implementation status, and
- verify compliance with specified requirements. [ IEEE 610.12, ISO/IEC/IEEE 24765 ]
- Configuration Management 
- The process of identifying, defining, recording and reporting the configuration items in a system and the change requests. Controlling the releases and change of the items throughout the life-cycle.
- Configuration Management [ ISO/IEC 29881 ]
- Technical and organizational activities comprising configuration identification, control, status accounting, and auditing.
- Software Configuration Management [ ISO/IEC 15846 ]
- The process of applying configuration management throughout the software life cycle to ensure the completeness and correctness of Software Configuration Items.
- Wikipedia article: Software Configuration Management
- ↑ Software Technology Interest Group On-line Glossary, http://www.apl.jhu.edu/Notes/Hausler/web/glossary.html .